What to Expect with Sedation Dentistry
At Sanchez Dental, we realize that many people have anxiety about visiting the dentist. Some of that anxiety is fear about the pain or cost of dental work. Some is rooted in negative experiences with previous dentists. And some comes from simply not knowing what to expect.
It’s our goal to alleviate anxiety wherever we can, and we think it’s important that patients understand what they can expect from their treatments. When you come in for an appointment, we’ll discuss your treatment plan with you in detail to ensure you’re informed and comfortable with the plan. And we’ll keep you informed throughout your treatments, explaining what we’re doing and why to keep your mind at ease.
What Can I Expect from Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is something that most patients aren’t familiar with or haven’t experienced, and it can seem intimidating. Here is what you can expect:
- We’ll start with an exam and review your medical history to ensure you’re a good candidate for safe sedation. We’ll also determine how deeply sedated you wish to be so that we can provide the accurate dose.
- When you arrive for your appointment, you’ll be expected to bring a family member or friend. This person will need to drive you home after the procedure.
- After you’ve checked in at the front desk, you’ll be led to the treatment room, where you’ll take the sedative. While you wait for it to kick in, feel free to watch TV, browse our magazines or entertain yourself with a book or iPod – whatever makes you comfortable.
- Once the sedation has taken effect, we’ll begin work on your teeth. You’ll be awake during this process, but you’ll feel very drowsy and relaxed. There will be no pain. Many patients don’t remember anything about the time they were sedated.
- After the procedure has finished, you will be released and your friend or family member can drive you home. You should be fully recovered and alert within a few hours.
Sedation dentistry allows us to get a lot of work done during a few long sessions, so you can see dramatic results in your appearance after just one afternoon in the dentist’s chair.
Do You Have More Questions?
If you have any other questions or are ready to schedule your free consultation, give us a call. We’ll do what we can to alleviate your doubts and develop a plan that can help you reclaim your life and your smile.